Wednesday, 9 March 2016

Standards for good digital pedagogy is needed but not to the extent where the learners and teachers are confined to only a particular set of standards. Standards in its rightful form are normally set out as a guideline as how things are supposed to happen, but could also be a form of indoctrinating a particular form of learning. Standards as it is indicated in the article can "limit the consciousness which critical pedagogy aims". I do not say that there should be no standards, but standards should be implemented in such a way that it can be bend for the benefit of learning. It is like I have said in my previous blogs, that I cannot stress it more that whatever happens in the classroom, learning should take place and the learner should walk out of any given class with knowledge accumulated in any particular lesson. The teacher should not be intimidated by standards or technology for example, but instead make the learning environment conducive for learning with any tool available that can progress knowledge, facilitate and educate learners. This should be done to the best ability of the teacher, and technology or whatever teaching method should be just a tool that can assist the learning process. Standards can have the ability to "systematically oppress students...but students and teachers should grapple with this culture of silence". Teachers should be able to feel comfortable teaching, and not be a puppet leader that is controlled by standards. Teachers should do what they deem necessary for their learners to excel instead of being oppressed by standards and norms. Although be in some instances difficult to do, teachers should be the educational vehicle in which learners want to drive in order to get to their learning and knowledge destination. Learning should not be debilitated because of standards and learning should be able to occur individually as well as in group dynamics where communication play a vital role for a conducive learning experience. Learning should be a liberating experience and not make learners and teachers feel that they are in shackles. Personally, I think that the more freedom a learner has to learn, the better a student him/her will become and ultimately a better citizen. I am not an expert on this topic of education and can only speak from my own experience, but it does not take a rocket scientist to know that a free learning environment is conducive to educational excellence.    

1 comment:

  1. I fully agree with you, I think the issue leis with the marriage or the engagement that exist between the teacher and the student. Furthermore if one has to look at the macro level, which is how the educational system is structured, it makes it very difficult for lets say ICT programs to work. I do think tech driven mediation on a distance level would enhance learner and engagement level with knowledge, the problem however lies with the accessibility of these tools and for me that lies with the structural composition of how education is structured.

    ReplyDelete